What to Do When Your Basement Floods in Metuchen, NJ
Flooded basements in Metuchen, NJ are surprisingly common, with about 98 percent of basements experiencing flooding or water damage at some point in their lifetime.
When you discover water in your basement in Metuchen, NJ, it’s important to know what steps to take. Not only do you want to take action to prevent damages from spreading, but it’s crucial to do so safely.
So what should you do when your basement is flooding in Metuchen, NJ? Here, we will outline why your basement is flooding, as well as how to handle water or flood damage in your basement.
Need Assistance? Call 24/7 - 732-248-9555
What Causes Flooded Basements in Metuchen, NJ?
The most common causes of flooding or water damage in basements include:
How to Handle Flooding in Your Basement
- Don't immediately enter a flooded crawlspace or basement! The first step involves making sure that the flooded area is safe to enter first. If there’s a decent amount of standing water, you want to turn off your electricity and gas.
- Get dressed in protective gear. Since basement water can often be contaminated depending on the source, it's unsafe to wade through flood water in your everyday clothes and shoes. Before you enter your flooded or wet basement, you want to put on rain boots and other protective gear like chest waders if the water is high enough. However, if your basement is this flooded, we recommend calling a professional water damage restoration company like SERVPRO of Edison to properly handle the situation.
- Find the source of the water. Understanding where the water is coming from is key to determining your next steps. If the flooding is due to heavy rains, wait until the storm ends and water stops flowing into your basement. If the water is from a burst pipe, hot water heater, or sewage backup, you should turn your water off immediately.
- Check your sump pump or drain in your basement to make sure it’s working. While sump pumps and floor drains are supposed to help drain standing water in your basement, they can also cause flooding if they are clogged or broken. If you have a sump pump or drain in your basement that’s clogged or broken, try your best to get it to work.
- Begin removing water. If there are only small puddles of water, you can use a wet dry vacuum, towels, or a mop and bucket to remove the majority of the water. If there's a few inches or more of standing water, we recommend calling a professional basement water removal company. SERVPRO of Edison has advanced water extraction equipment to quickly remove water and help minimize damages.
- Fix the cause of your flooded basement. You want to make sure to take preventative measures so that you don't have to deal with a flooded basement again. If your home is prone to flooding, consider basement waterproofing. If you don't already have a sump pump or floor drain in your basement, consider installing them.
Need Basement Flooding Cleanup in Metuchen, NJ?
When your New Jersey basement sustains flooding or water damage, your local SERVPRO in Metuchen, NJ provides immediate assistance. Our 24/7 rapid response helps to minimize damages and prevent secondary damages like mold growth inside your home or business.
With over 15 years of experience in basement flooding cleanup in Metuchen, NJ, you can trust SERVPRO of Edison to handle any size water emergency. Our IICRC Certified restoration specialists have all of the training and resources needed to respond to your call immediately with expert cleanup and restoration services.
When you call SERVPRO of Edison for help with a flooded basement in Metuchen, NJ, our goal is to make the water in your basement or crawl space “Like it never even happened.”