Tips to prepare your business or home for a flood
Before the flood:
- Install "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home or business.
- Seal walls in underground with waterproofing compounds to help avoid seepage.
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, electrical panel, and water heater if susceptible to flooding.
During the Flood:
- Disconnect electrical appliances
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can cause a fall.
After the Flood:
- Stay out of any buildings that are surrounded by flood waters
- Listen to the local news reports to learn if the community's water supply is safe to drink
- Avoid floodwaters. Waters may be contaminated with oil, gasoline, or even raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged
- Return home only when it has been deemed safe by authorities.